The name could derive from the Greek stopover, landing place. It is one of the main inhabited centres of the island, located at about 100 mt. a.s.l. and with a population of about 1000 inhabitants. It is the only city quarters of the island with all the services, including cinema. Known for its marina and as a dock for small fishing boats or for nautical activities, it has recently become the centre of nightlife. To visit the parish of San Gaetano da Thiene, to whom the procession of August 7th is dedicated. The meeting point is the Circolo Unione. The inhabitants are called "Scavirióti".
(photo by Parco Nazionale Isola di Pantelleria)